Get the real picture on the courses and modules at over 120 universities in the UK by reading through the reviews and ratings left by thousands of students and get true insight into what it's really like to study at that institution. With over 30,000 reviews left by students in the last 12 months, Student Hut is the most up-to-date and comprehensive resource of student reviews in the UK.

Rating summary
The University of Portsmouth 4.0 / 247 reviews
Overall rating
5 stars
71
4 stars
129
3 stars
32
2 stars
10
1 stars
5
Module / Course content
Teaching quality
Learning resources
Academic support
Assessments & feedback
Enjoyment factor
Anonymous
Reviewer:

The structure of the course is brilliant. The being those who did not do a lot of the modules at A-level up to speed with those who did further maths, and this most of the modules. The lecturers are on hand in the Math's cafe and are always willing to helpful with any queries or conditions about someone parts of the course. Qs for the facilites, the are amazing. The open access IT suites are second to nope, with all the programs installed on the desktops read to go. All in all, Portsmouth is a brilliant university and I would recommend it to anyone looking to study Maths, Engeneering, IT, and Business at a higher level.

Module content
Teaching quality
Learning resources
Academic support
Assessments & feedback
Enjoyment factor
Anonymous
Reviewer:

This degree is probably the best degree for a business student that doesn't want to do a boring straight business course. I am currently in my second year and studying abroad. Next year I will be undertaking a placement year and the year after I will be back in Portsmouth. So out of the 4 years, i'm only really at University for 2.The content for 1st year is very general and everyone in the business school takes the same modules, in case you change your mind and want to do a different business degree. Each module starts with covering the basics learnt at A Level and GCSE but then expands on this a lot. Many of the modules have group projects as well as exams, but hardly any essays, which is great as you get more of a hands on experience.The teaching varies between Lecturers, but is overall good. Some lecturers will just read off slides, but some try to connect more with the class and are funny and engaging.

Module content
Teaching quality
Learning resources
Academic support
Assessments & feedback
Enjoyment factor
Course review:
Anonymous
Reviewer:

I didn't enjoy 1st and 2nd year as much as all our units were compulsory and other people I knew at least chose one unit. However now I am in 3rd year I really enjoyed the fact I could pick my own subjects, after my placement year I developed a strong interest in forensic and clinical psychology and I reallyEnjoy these lectures which I attend every week. I would however enjoy a seminar or 2 on our lectures as I feel this would further my learning. I would like some more contact time just to get more of an understanding andDepth to the topics I am learning. But I strongly recommend the course especially for 3rd year because you can chose the direction of your last year.

Module content
Teaching quality
Learning resources
Academic support
Assessments & feedback
Enjoyment factor
Anonymous
Reviewer:

Overall, I am very pleased with the University of Portsmouth. The teachers and the manners of teaching are great. The lessons structures are enjoyable. The teachers are really present and willing to help whenever you can either personaly or academicaly. The library is complete and huge, very accessible and open nearly all the time.All the information are given on Moodle.The facilities of the building are enjoyable. We are well prepared for assessments and feedbacks are complete and well explained. There is great support for assessments.

Module content
Teaching quality
Learning resources
Academic support
Assessments & feedback
Enjoyment factor
Anonymous
Reviewer:

The course lasts 3 years and i enjoy it. It is a mixture of biology and chemistry. The units for the first year are: anatomy and physiology, applied systems, biological cells and chemistry, fundamental topics in human physiology, experimental physiology and health And disease prevention. All the units are interesting but sometimes a little bit boring or difficult to grasp. The lectures are interactive and a mixture of methods are used such as group work, individual work and many more. The units are a mixture of coursework and exams but mainly exams.

Module content
Teaching quality
Learning resources
Academic support
Assessments & feedback
Enjoyment factor
Anonymous
Reviewer:

First year of university has been amazing! One is fairly ready to start this new adventure and Portsmouth couldn't be more welcoming! Personal tutors and lecturers try their best to help students get used to the new path they chose, and very welcome to answer any question or doubt they might have!

I am currently in my second year and things are not as good as last year but the university is not to blame, at least not for all of it! At the end of first year students get to choose some of the units they want to undertake in second year and my advise is: think wisely! Collect as much information as you can about the units you are interested in: speaking to the coordinators of the units is helpful but only to some extent because they will obviously underline only positive aspects of said unit! Speak to people who have taken it before you and try to understand if it really is what you want to do.Don't just choose according to the title of the unit and put aside the ones that don't particularly attract your attention! That's what I did and now I regret it! I should have considered everything in a wiser way!! It is worth reading and get information about all the units available!Having said that, university life is truly worth living so anyone having doubts about it just go for it!! :)

Module content
Teaching quality
Learning resources
Academic support
Assessments & feedback
Enjoyment factor
Anonymous
Reviewer:

My degree is valuable to me as it explore many different areas that will allow me to go into a more open field when I do go into employment.My lecturers are very on hand to provide me advice, support and guidance to ensure I do my best and get the most out of my degree, whilst still making it a fun experience all round!The university itself is home. I've been lucky to make friends that have turned into family, and could not imagine going to another university.

Module content
Teaching quality
Learning resources
Academic support
Assessments & feedback
Enjoyment factor
Anonymous
Reviewer:

The amount of contact hours are lower than their degrees I have heard of, the teaching quality however is very good with constant support and access to lecturers, library etc. The workload is doable without OVER swamping the student. The course overall is excellent has it's a full psychology degree noted by the BPS and with a extra interest in forensic.

Module content
Teaching quality
Learning resources
Academic support
Assessments & feedback
Enjoyment factor
Anonymous
Reviewer:

1st year course content was boring and not what I was interested in, too many lectures with marine biology and biology. Luckily 2nd year and 3rd year got more specific and I loved my course more each year! It's a really difficult course, but interesting and mostly well-taught. One lecturer a bit behind the times springs to mind - he refuses to upload anything to moodle which is a pain as online resources are the best help with revision. In 3rd year modules other than the one run by that professor all have loads of great extra resources on moodle provided by the course lecturers. It's helped my revision so much. The teaching is mostly good, though you'll get a few where you think "I pay for this why?" Personally I think some of our exams are too heavily weighted, 70% of the overall module and you only get one chance at coursework for the other 30%. That's only one module now though, the others have exams worth 60% and coursework takes up the rest, which is better, but I think 50-50 would be a better way to assess scientific subjects, especially as we are required to have hones practical skills later in our careers. That is something i feel is really lacking from this course - enough time in the lab doing practical work, which could be remedied by increasing the weight of coursework.

Module content
Teaching quality
Learning resources
Academic support
Assessments & feedback
Enjoyment factor
Anonymous
Reviewer:
1st Year

The experience so far has been very enjoyable and rewarding. The lecturers are enthusiastic and more than willing to help with any queries or concerns students have. The course content is varied and challenging.

Module content
Teaching quality
Learning resources
Academic support
Assessments & feedback
Enjoyment factor